As the cold weather descends on Northern Virginia there are a few winter lawn care tips NuLeaf Lawn Care would like to provide to homeowners. These will help the lawn look great through the winter and prepare the lawn for a green Spring.
- Try to avoid walking on the lawn as much as possible. Especially when the temperatures are below freezing or there is frost present. Walking on a frozen lawn can break the frozen grass blades damaging them.
- Try to keep salt or other ice-melt products from getting on the lawn during snow storms.
- Keep the leaves from building up on the lawn, wet leaves can smother the grass leaving brown spots that can’t be fixed until the Spring.
- Fertilize the lawn in the late Fall, this feeding will help the lawn through the winter and provide nutrients for a quick spring green up.
- Once all the leaves have dropped, do one more final clean-up and mowing to put the lawn to bed for the winter.
- Winter is a great time to apply lime, as you are treating the soil not the grass plant so the lawn can be dormant at time of application.
- Plan for the year ahead. This is a great time to sign up for a NuLeaf Lawn Care Program. Act now and have one less thing to worry about in the Spring.