NuLeaf Lawn Care’s organic mosquito control clients often ask me about about mosquito born diseases such as West Nile Virus. At Nuleaf we are always trying to keep on the forefront of new techniques, organic products and information about mosquito outbreaks in the Washington DC Area. Here are a few facts I recently came across about Mosquito Born Disease West Nile.
- West Nile Virus made it’s first appearance in 1999
- How do people become infect with West Nile Virus? People get the virus from mosquitoes that have bitten infected birds. Most people don’t become sick, but some have a mild fever. One out of 150 develops serious symptoms, such as brain inflammation or polio-like paralysis of the arms or legs. A small number die.
- No human vaccine or specific treatment exists.
- Nationally, more than 5,600 West Nile virus cases and 286 deaths were reported last year to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- West Nile virus has infected more than 300 species of birds, more than 60 species of mosquitoes and about 30 mammals
The good news is no reported case of west nile so far for 2013 in Washington DC. For more information a great resource visit the CDC Website below.